A healthy and hearty soup for the winter
- Olive oil 3-4 tablespoon
- Onion cubes 2 medium
- Tomatoes 2 medium
- Carrot 1 large
- Orange lentil gram 1 Cup (soaked for 1 hour)
- Bay leaf 1
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Black pepper powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Chicken or vegetable stock 2 Cups
- Water 5-6 Cups or as required
- Mint leaves
- Black pepper crushed
- Dried mint leaves
- In pot, add olive oil and onion, mix well and fry until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and carrot, mix well.
- Add orange lentil gram and mix well.
- Add bay leaf, garlic, black pepper powder, cumin powder, salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and mix well.
- Add water and bring it to boil, cover and cook on low flame for approx. 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf, switch off the flame, allow it to cool for few minutes and blend until smooth with the help of hand blender.
- Switch on the flame and cook on high flame until desired consistency or 8-10 minutes and keep stirring in between. Lentil soup is ready!
- Heat griddle and roast mint leaves until crispy and brown, set aside and crush with your hands.
- On serving bowl, add lentil soup, black pepper crushed, dried mint leaves, croutons and serve.