No additives. No preservatives. Pure marmalade.
- Oranges 1 dozen (medium size)
- Water 1 & ½ litre
- Lemon zest ½ tablespoon
- Lemon juice 3-4 tablespoons
- Sugar 1 & ½ kg
- Boiling water
- Wash and dry the oranges.
- Cut oranges into two halves and by using juicer machine squeeze the members to get as much as juice as possible (approx. 1 litre) and set aside.
- By using a sharp knife, cut off the thick white pit from around each orange and finely slice each strip of orange as thinly as possible and set aside for later use.
- In a pot, add orange juice, water, orange skin, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix well.
- Place a double layer of cheesecloth/muslin cloth in a bowl and put membranes and seeds in the bowl. Lift up the corners and tie the cheesecloth into a bag to hold the membranes and seeds and tie this “pectin bag” to the pot, bring it to boil, cover and cook on medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Remove pectin bag and squeeze into the pot before discarding the bag then cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Add sugar, mix well and cook on medium flame for 2 hours or until thickens and keep stirring in between.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes.
- In boiling water, add air tight jars and sterilize for 5-6 minutes then remove jars from the water and drain on a clean towel.
- If there is any scum on the surface, spoon it off and transfer the marmalade to sterilized jars.
- Can be stored in an air tight container for up to 6-7 months.
- Let it cool and refrigerate until use (flavor is developed upon cooling).